If you have never tried roasted strawberries before, you have no idea what you’re missing. Seriously, drop everything, go to the market, buy strawberries, and follow this recipe immediately. They are that good.
I first came across the recipe for roasted strawberries a few years ago through a Facebook link shared by Country Living Magazine. Tossing the strawberries with sugar and roasting them produces the most vibrant, flavorful syrup which tastes like a cross between strawberry pie filling and caramel. This versatile recipe can be used in so many ways—as a topping for pancakes or waffles, mixed into yogurt, combined with sparkling water (and vodka, if it strikes your fancy) for a refreshing drink, or just eaten out of the baking dish with a spoon (I have been known to do that on occasion)—but my absolute favorite is drizzled over ice cream for a twist on a classic sundae.
This is an easy and delectable dessert that can be prepared in advance—perfect for a late spring or summer get-together.
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered (is it just me, or does this statement remind you of medieval torture chambers?)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla or chocolate ice cream (or both…or any kind you’d like…who am I to judge?)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the strawberries, sugar, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart baking dish. Stir to combine.
3. Roast the strawberries in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The longer they roast, the more syrup they produce, and the more caramelized the flavor becomes.
4. Meanwhile, scoop ice cream into serving bowls. (If you are throwing a dinner party, consider scooping the ice cream into bowls in advance, then store the prepared bowls in the freezer.)
5. Just before serving, spoon the strawberries and syrup over the scoops of ice cream. Serve immediately.
🍓 You can serve the strawberries hot out of the oven, warm, at room temperature, or chilled…you can’t go wrong with any which way you choose!
Retrieved from: https://www.delish.com/cooking/videos/a41886/roasted-strawberries/