This is such aneasy and delicious breakfast dish—perfect for a lazy weekend morning and simple enough for a weekday (just cook your sausage in advance and throw it together in a few minutes). If you can’t find seamless crescent roll dough, just pinch the seams together to make a solid sheet, which actually looks like a nice decorative touch when it’s baked. Also, you could switch out the sausage or cheese selection to suit your preferences.
1 lb bulk ground maple pork sausage, such as Jimmy Dean
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 packages seamless crescent roll dough (8 oz each), such as Pillsbury
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the sausage in a large skillet until browned, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove the meat from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool.
3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs, salt, and pepper together in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Add the sausage to the beaten eggs. Stir to combine.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Open the first container of crescent roll dough. Unroll it and place it on the lined baking sheet.
6. Spoon the sausage-egg mixture onto the crescent roll dough in an even layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
7. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the sausage-egg mixture.
8. Open and unroll the second container of crescent roll dough and place it on top of the sausage-egg-cheese combination, lining up the sides with the bottom layer of dough as much as possible. Using the tines of a fork, press down the edges of the dough to seal, creating a crimped border around the entire slab pie.
9. Using a pastry brush, paint the top and border of the slab pie with the egg wash. Cut slits into the top layer of dough with a sharp knife.
10. Bake in the pre-heated over for 13-15 minutes, until the dough is golden brown. Remove the slab pie from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
Makes 8 servings