Pork, apples, and onions. They just go together. This recipe smells and tastes like fall. It’s incredibly simple—both in construction and process—and is perfect for dinner on a chilly evening. Serve it with applesauce, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or spaetzle.
3-4 lbs pork roast or pork shoulder
1 Tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 Tbsp olive
2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
12 oz apple cider (hard cider is great, too)
1. Pat the pork roast dry with paper towels, then rub all over with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, place the pork roast in the skillet and brown the meat on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
3. Meanwhile, place the apples and onions in the bowl of a 6-quart slow-cooker, then set the slow cooker to warm.
4. Once all sides of the meat are browned, using tongs, transfer the pork roast from the skillet into the slow cooker. Place the butter on top of the meat, then pour the cider in over the contents of the slow cooker.
5. Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 6 hours.
6. Remove the meat from the slow cooker onto a cutting board and tent it with foil. Meanwhile, pour the apples, onions, and cooking juices into a blender and purée the mixture. Once puréed, pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper accordingly.
7. While the gravy is simmering, slice the pork (please note that the meat will be very tender and may crumble—it may not look pretty, but it’s freaking delicious). At this point, you can either return the pork to the slow cooker, set to warm, or place it on a serving platter, then put it in the oven on the “keep warm” setting, until the gravy is ready.
8. Serve warm with the gravy on the side.
3 Comments Add yours
The recipe sounds great!!! You have a lovely blog :))
Thank you very much! You are so kind!
LikeLiked by 1 person