Once upon a time, the thought of eating mashed up avocado on a piece of toasted bread was revolting to me. Then, one fateful day, I had a ripe avocado which needed to be eaten. So I thought, “What the hell? Let’s see what all the fuss is about.” I felt like Sleeping Beauty receiving a kiss from Prince Charming—I was awoken to a world of culinary possibilities. Joking aside, I found myself loving the juxtaposition of cool, creamy avocado on warm crunchy toast. Moreover, I loved the versatility of the combination—you can add anything you like to it. This is currently my favorite way to eat avocado toast. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes or pickled jalapeños to this mix, but today I kept it simple, which is how I like it best.
1 ripe Haas avocado
1/4 wedge of lime
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 slices whole-wheat bread
1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
2. Squeeze the wedge of lime over the avocado, discard the rind.
3. Sprinkle the salt and cayenne pepper over the avocado.
4. Using a fork, mash the ingredients together until you get your desired consistency (I like mine on the lumpy side).
5. Meanwhile, toast your slices of bread to your desired done-ness.
6. Once the bread is toasted, place it on a plate, spread each slice with half of the avocado mixture, and enjoy.