I threw this recipe together this evening on a whim and was quite pleased with the result. My husband is not a huge fan of red sauces, so, when making pasta dishes, I often mix in a little heavy cream to make a pink sauce. Bulk Italian sausage packs such an incredible flavor punch that very few ingredients are needed to complete this satisfying dish. As a bonus, it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to throw together.
20 oz package of cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups marinara sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
Shredded Parmesan to taste
1. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Using a wooden spoon, crumble the meat as it cooks; cook until it is no longer pink and starting to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30-seconds, until fragrant.
3. Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. Using the wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow the marinara-sausage mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the heavy cream to the sauce and stir to combine. Allow the sauce to simmer for about 3 minutes more.
5. Add the cooked tortellini to the sauce. Toss the pasta in the sauce to coat.
6. Serve warm, garnished with Parmesan cheese, to taste, and fresh basil sprinkled on top.