Planning a kids party? Put these Mini Corn Dog Bites on the menu. They are easy to make and are bursting with flavor. Children love them. Adults love them. Even my husband, who hates corn dogs, loves them. Whenever they are served, they are devoured. Win!
6 hotdogs, each cut into 8 equal pieces
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
48 toothpick, optional
Ketchup, Mustard, Honey Mustard, or Barbecue Sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray the cups of 2 mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
2. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
3. In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and honey.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir together until just combined.
5. Carefully fill each mini muffin cup halfway with the batter. (I use two spoons to do this, as pouring the batter from the bowl can be messy and inaccurate.)
6. Place one piece of hotdog in each cup and gently press it down into the batter.
7. Place the mini muffin pans in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the batter turns golden brown.
8. Remove the Mini Corn Dog Bites from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes.
9. Serve warm, using toothpicks for easy eating, if desired. I like to provide a variety of dipping sauces, but these are delicious on their own, too.
Makes 48 servings
🌭 I use Hebrew National Reduced Fat Hotdogs, as there is far less grease released from the hotdog pieces as they bake.
🌽 You will have batter leftover; use it to make extra corn muffins, cornbread pancakes (sounds weird, but they’re really good), or cut up more hotdogs to make more Mini Corn Dog Bites—you can’t go wrong.
⚾️ These are also a hit when you’re gathering to watch sporting events, like Opening Day. Play ball!