For a quick, flavorful, and nutrient-dense side dish, try sautéed baby spinach. It goes with pretty much everything.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, mined
10-12 oz baby spinach, washed and dried
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet (10 or 12-inch skillets work well) over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the onion to the skillet and sauté it until it’s softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté the mixture until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the spinach to the skillet, a few handfuls at a time and mix it into the onion-garlic mixture; it will wilt quickly. Continue this step until all the spinach has been added.
5. Once the spinach is wilted, add the nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
6. Add the Parmesan cheese. Stir it into the spinach until it begins to melt, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
7. Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve warm.
One Comment Add yours