Blueberry and lemon is a classic combination, as is blueberry and orange. A Meyer lemon, which is a hybrid of a lemon and mandarin orange, combines the flavors of the two citrus fruits. Naturally, it pairs beautifully with berries.
While plain old blueberry pancakes have always been a personal favorite, I’ve found that adding this citrus zest to the batter takes them over the top. In order to inject more Meyer lemon flavor into them, I skipped using buttermilk and made sour milk with the fruit’s juice instead. These”grownup” pancakes are perfect for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast or brunch with friends.
1 cup all-purpose flour
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup fresh blueberries, or to taste
1. Combine the Meyer lemon juice and milk in a large measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes to make sour milk (an alternative to buttermilk).
2. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, Meyer lemon zest, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. Once the sour milk is created, add the egg and vegetable oil. Whisk to combine.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and whisk together. Do not overmix—the batter should be lumpy.
5. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Grease the surface with cooking spray or melted butter, then pour roughly 1/4-cup measures of batter onto the hot surface to make 3-inch-sized pancakes.
6. Place the desired amount of blueberries onto each pancake. Gently press down on the berries using your finger to nestle them into the batter.
7. After 2 minutes of cooking time on the first side (bubbles making their way to the surface of the uncooked batter are a great indicator that your pancakes are ready to turn over), flip the pancakes and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until each side is golden brown.
8. Serve immediately or keep warm in an oven set at 200 degrees for no longer than 30 minutes. Enjoy with whatever toppings you like.
Makes 8-10 pancakes