This take on an Old Fashioned is inspired by a recent visit to Walt Disney World. My husband does not enjoy the Disney experience—he endures it because our son and I love it. But he does like their cocktails, especially this one, which was discovered while dining at the Yacht Club Resort. The substitution of maple syrup for sugar reduces the prep time (no muddling the sugar and bitters together) and adds a distinct smokey sweetness to the drink, making it truly special. This beverage has the added benefit of potency—perfect for numbing the mind as your child loses his, whether you are at the park or in the comfort of your home. Cheers to Walt Disney World and the memories we have made there! And cheers to the man who puts up with it to make us happy!
1 shot maple syrup
10 dashes Angostura bitters
4 shots bourbon
2 strips of orange zest, plus 2 more for garnish
2 maraschino cherries, for garnish
2 large cubes of ice
1. Combine the maple syrup, bitters, bourbon, and 2 strips of orange zest in a cocktail shaker (a mason jar works well for this, too, if you don’t have a shaker).
2. Add ice to fill up to the liquid line.
3. Put the lid on the shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
4. Place a large ice cube, strip of orange zest, and a cherry into 2 Old Fashioned glasses.
5. Strain the mixture evenly into each glass. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 drinks