A few years ago, I was trying to find a way to work butternut squash, one of my favorite vegetables, into a salad. I came up with this recipe, which provides a healthy and hearty meal when the weather begins to turn cold.
For the butternut squash:
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread the squash evenly on the baking sheet.
3. Roast for 25 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn the squash over using a spatula.
For the chicken:
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Add the chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to marinate for 2-4 hours.
2. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill the chicken over medium high heat, 6 minutes per side, until fully cooked and the juices run clear. Allow the chicken to sit on a cutting board, tented with foil, for another 5-10 minutes.
3. Thinly slice.
For the salad base:
6 cups loosely packed butterhead lettuce leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 cup apple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Combine the salad base ingredients, 1 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash, and thinly sliced chicken in a large non-reactive bowl. Drizzle with Autumn Vinaigrette Dressing to taste and toss to coat. Serve on individual plates.